We Have the Answers to Your Mold Questions Here!

Mold is serious business and that’s why we talk about it so much. With it being such a big issue and we want to keep you safe and healthy within your own home we found another article published by The Natural Resources Defense Council. We hope it will help to answer all of your questions and keep you and your family safe.

Do you have smoke damage, fire damage, water damage, wind damage or even mold remediation issues in your home or business? Look no further! Guarantee Service Team of Professionals is your #1 Choice for Baton Rouge mold removal! Call us today at 225-224-3911 for your FREE, No-Obligation quote!

From the article:

Why should I be concerned about mold?
When returning to your home you are almost certain to encounter mold. Mold is the common name used to describe various types of fungus that can be found growing both indoors and outdoors, especially in moist warm environments. Mold can be a dangerous indoor air contaminant and in residential settings usually requires prompt attention and cleanup.

How can mold affect my health or my kids’ health?
Mold growing on damp surfaces releases spores into the air, which, if inhaled, can cause congestion, sneezing, runny or itchy nose and throat irritation. More serious symptoms include major allergy attacks, cough, asthma attacks, hypersensitivity pneumonitis (a pneumonia-like illness) and even infections in people with immune system problems. The elderly and young children are especially sensitive to mold. Mold can cause allergic reactions whether it’s dead or alive, and some molds may even be toxic.

How can I protect myself and my family from mold?

  • Open windows and doors to provide ventilation and fresh air (but don’t allow mold to blow into unaffected areas).
  • Do not touch mold or moldy items with bare hands.
  • When you are indoors where there may be mold, such as in a flooded house, wear nitrile gloves and an N95 respirator mask (you can buy these at your local hardware store for about $5).
  • If you are doing cleanup or debris removal in a moldy environment, wear full protective gear: gloves, a respirator, safety glasses, a Tyvek suit over your clothing, and boots or boot covers on your feet. Be sure to remove and dispose of the Tyvek suit and footwear as soon as you leave the moldy area — don’t take contaminated protective gear back into a car or living quarters.

Have more questions about mold? Checkout this article about mold for busy homeowners that could be of interest to you.

Read the entire article here: http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/katrinadata/moldremoval.asp